Online Bachelor of Arts in Emergency Management and Homeland Security Degree
Mount Vernon Nazarene University’s Bachelor of Arts in Emergency Management and Homeland Security degree strives to create devoted, skilled leaders who not only prepare for cataclysmic events but establish order in times of chaos with the goal of saving lives.
The Emergency Management and Homeland Security degree develops the skills and expertise necessary to learn to recognize significant hazards, analyze intelligence, respond to disasters and emergency situations, as well as the administrative responsibilities and regulations involved with this career field. The program will prepare you to make decisions, problem solve, plan, implement, and coordinate resources necessary for preparedness, mitigation, response, and recovery from possible disasters.
*Based on students beginning the program with 56 transferable credit hours and only needing the program-specific classes. Time to completion varies based on individual student circumstances and previous college experience.
**30 credit hours of the program must be completed at MVNU. Other restrictions apply. Please contact our Enrollment Team for additional information.
Want more information?
Fill out the form below and an enrollment counselor will contact you.
Effective emergency preparedness isn’t strictly action and response. Instead, solutions boil down to legislation and leadership. Reflecting this aspect, MVNU’s online BA in Emergency Management and Homeland Security degree builds its rigorous, comprehensive curriculum on these principles, emphasizing critical-thinking, ethical decision-making, and effective organizational analysis skills. With the goal of developing professionals ready to make a difference in government, private, and non-profit sectors, this degree program:
- Provides an overview of theoretical and practical concepts involving crime mitigation, human behavior, infrastructure, and disaster planning.
- Has students examining existing and future organizational structures for emergency and disaster management.
- Explores disaster preparedness from a policy perspective, requiring students to gather and interpret intelligence to identify and respond to potential threats.
- Takes a holistic approach to public safety, analyzing risk assessment, civilian and staff management, and cultural factors.
- Examines different types of emergencies, including natural disasters, terrorism, and hazardous material exposure, and helps students develop tailored, multifaceted responses to each scenario.
- Helps students develop strong communication, leadership, and emergency management skills.